This booklet is an introduction to the linguistic study of the Indigenous language spoken in Canada. The following topics are covered:
- approaching the study of Indigenous languages from an informed and respectful perspective.
- the geographical distribution of Indigenous languages in Canada.
- some notable structural properties of Indigenous languages.
- the writing systems used for Indigenous languages.
- the effects of contact between Indigenous and non-Indigenous languages.
- the current vitality of Indigenous languages in Canada.